Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Co-op

We recently joined our local co-op and are trying a few things here and there. I thought I would share my most humble opinion... ;-)

Organic, pasture-fed beef -- Hormones and antibiotics were my main concerns in regular nonorganic beef. However, I also have a strange notion that God made cows, put us in charge of them, and probably doesn't like the way they are treated in the huge factories. ;-) I should probably explain myself better, but that is probably enough for a whole post in itself. ha We tried it; we liked it. My brother could tell a difference, but I honestly couldn't tell so much. At least he said it was good! Evan didn't really have an opinion. I do like the knowledge that we are buying locally and eating beef that has not been antibiotic-fed.
Raw honey -- Very, very good. Evan and I could tell a big difference between the raw honey and the store-bought honey. Also, buying local honey means that you are buying honey made from local pollen. I have heard but not really researched that eating raw local honey can help people with allergies build immunity to local pollens.
Raw-milk cheddar -- I love cheese, but this cheese is a bit too strong for me to eat by itself. :-) However, cooking with this cheese is wonderful. I put it in our eggs with some salsa...yummy!!
Smoked cheddar -- This cheese was not made from raw milk but from pasture-fed cow's milk. The cheese was good, but it has smoke flavoring in it. ??
Beef soup bones -- I used these bones to make my beef broth since I don't usually buy beef that has bones in it. I cooked the bones and my vegetable trimmings from the week in a crockpot for a day, and the broth turned out well. I used some and froze the rest in ice cube trays. Once again, I liked the fact that I was using organic.

Reason for such a long post -- It is 8:08 a.m., and my son is still sleeping. Wow.

No comments:

 

easy statistics
Buy Digital Cameras