Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Refried Beans


I soaked 2 pounds of pinto beans all day yesterday, cooked them all night and some today in the crockpot, and then cooked and mashed them on the stove this afternoon! I was afraid they would be a bit watery because I didn't pour any liquid off, but they were the perfect consistency once they cooled. I cooked them in the crockpot with an onion and a half, 6-7 whole cloves of garlic, salt, cumin, and coriander. When I put them in a pan on the stove, I melted a stick of butter in the pan then put the beans in with a couple of the whole garlic cloves (I took out the onions). I was thoroughly impressed. I froze four bags of the beans and used the rest in our bean burritos this evening for supper. I also made some Mexican-type rice to go in the burritos and froze the rest of the plain rice.
That's about all I got done today. We spent a LOT of time outside. I pulled weeds in the front yard while Nathan dug in his "garden," our unused front flower bed. He just loves playing in the dirt. ha I enjoy having days where I feel like working! And I'm thankful that I am able to work and not have to be extremely cautious with my every move (or on bedrest). :-)

No comments:

 

easy statistics
Buy Digital Cameras