Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Refried Beans

2 pounds dried pinto beans, soaked overnight, drained, and rinsed
2 yellow onions, cut in half
2 red onions, cut in half
10 cloves of garlic, peeled
1 stick of butter
4 t. cumin
2 t. coriander

Place the beans, onions, and garlic in a crockpot on low. Cover with water and add salt. Cook for 8-10 hours. Melt butter in a large pot. Add the beans, leaving the extra juice in the crockpot to add to the beans as needed. Cook and stir the beans for 5-10 minutes. Mash with a potato masher or use an immersion blender, adding the extra juice to reach the desired consistency.

I put measure out 2 cups of beans in freezer bags and freeze them. We love these refried beans, and I like knowing what all went in them! Some people skip the "frying" (butter) part altogether; but the butter makes for a much better consistency, in my humble opinion.

I made these this morning and used my nifty new immersion blender!! The beans were so smooth!! :-) Anyway, I now have five bags of frozen refried beans in my freezer. Yay!

No comments:

 

easy statistics
Buy Digital Cameras