Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Whoa...

So, my oldest child is now four. FOUR. That means I have to really start thinking about the reality of teaching my child to read. I actually look forward to homeschooling my children and am not daunted by huge book lists or the magnitude of material that needs to be learned. I am slightly daunted by teaching my child to read. The main reason for my anxiety is my current indecision on which method to follow in teaching him. I have read Charlotte Mason's method, and I know that method would not fly in our house, if for no other reason than Evan's strong belief in phonics. :-) I am now reading The Well-Trained Mind by Susan Wise Bauer and Jessie Wise and wondering how their method would work in our house. Of course, I can never just leave the decision at face value; I must try to find a reason why one of them should work and the other not work (although I know that both have worked with children). I have reduced the decision down to this question: Should one teach children phonics rules from the beginning or just teach children words and let them make their own generalizations about phonics rules? If I spoke German, I would have no difficulty making this decision; but I do not. ha
So this is where the rubber meets the road. Can someone come and clean my house while I'm trying to make these decisions and implement my plan of action??

2 comments:

Christa said...

We need to chat. I think Charlotte Mason's teaching methods were a lot more phonetically-based than many people believe, and we teach systematic phonics in our classically Charlotte homeschool. Don't through out the baby with the bathwater from either method.

I wonder what my Nathan would think if he realized that you also have a Nathan the same age.

Rachel said...

Christa, I just now saw your comment. Now THAT is "whoa." ha We still need to chat, though! I have been working on phonics with Nathan, but I'm still wondering if I'm using the best method.

 

easy statistics
Buy Digital Cameras