Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Recipe for Peace

Philippians 4:4-7 (New Living Translation)


4. Always be full of joy in the Lord. I say it again—rejoice! 5. Let everyone see that you are considerate in all you do. Remember, the Lord is coming soon.
6. Don’t worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done. 7. Then you will experience God’s peace, which exceeds anything we can understand. His peace will guard your hearts and minds as you live in Christ Jesus.




New Living Translation (NLT) Holy Bible. New Living Translation copyright © 1996, 2004 by Tyndale Charitable Trust. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers.



What can I say? Fear has always been my worst enemy, and I always feel helpless in its grip. As of this moment, I am fine; there is nothing to worry me. Yet I know I will have the opportunity to worry soon enough. Somehow it always happens that what I want most becomes entangled with that which I fear most.
People who do not understand fear try to reason my fears away. Believe me, if reason worked, I wouldn't have this problem. I am a fairly reasonable person, and I have bent over backward in many situations trying to reason away the fear that gripped my heart and mind. Reason did not work. Also, I know that I will soon be faced with another reason to fear, one that even reasonable people cannot reason away.
As I was reading this morning, the "peace, which exceeds anything we can understand," caught my eye. I need that peace, the peace which guards my heart and mind and doesn't have to be reasonable. So, what now? Rejoice, be considerate, pray, ask, and thank. I am thankful for unreasonable peace.

2 comments:

jodirae said...

"Also, I know that I will soon be faced with another reason to fear, one that even reasonable people cannot reason away."
I am just curious what you are refering to in this excerpt... Are you talking about the here and now or something to come? I know that I am by no means reasonable like you; I'm overlly-emotional! HAHAHAHA I said it. Overlly-emotional yuppers that it.

Rachel said...

Soon to come...not right now. ;-) Sorry about that! Another person asked me the same question!! ha Didn't mean to confuse...

 

easy statistics
Buy Digital Cameras