Saturday, November 8, 2008

Beets


Beets are a vegetable that I have always been biased against. For some reason, I just thought they were a vegetable that I didn't like. I happened to read a few nutritional facts on beets, and I thought I would give them a try. I was happy to find that I do not dislike beets!! :-)
I cut off the beet greens, washed them, and put them in a pot with a lid. Then I cut the tops and bottoms off the beets, placed them in an oven-safe dish, covered them with foil, and baked them for two hours at 250 degrees. When the beets were almost finished, I turned on the beet greens and let them steam. Once the beets were done, I peeled them and sliced them. Then I put the wilted greens (I chopped them first) and sliced beets in a bowl and tossed them with butter and garlic. Evan actually said that the beets were the best he's ever had. I don't ever remember actually eating beets before.
This site explains how beets protect against heart disease, birth defects, and certain kinds of cancer. I was fairly impressed with the beet. :-) I am hoping to incorporate beets into our diet at least once every two weeks, and Evan doesn't mind at all!! I will warn you, though, that seeing red whenever you go to the bathroom is normal after eating beets. Just so you know. ;-) Anyone want to try some beets?!

No comments:

 

easy statistics
Buy Digital Cameras