Sunday, October 12, 2008

Difference

Today I was looking through my fridge, and I had the random thought, "I wonder how different the contents of my fridge are today than a year ago?" Nice random thought, right? Here's what I could find:

1) Buttermilk: I did not generally buy buttermilk last year. Now, it is a staple. I use it to soak oats for oatmeal, make pancakes, and do a few other things.
2) Sauerkraut: I would never have had this in my fridge last year. Now, I have a mason jar of homemade sauerkraut in my fridge that I use occasionally for garnish (generally on bean soup). Supposedly, according to Nourishing Traditions, sauerkraut is a wonderful food for your stomach since it is fermented. Doesn't that sound delicious?
3) Whey: I don't use this very often, but I have used it enough that I think it will be gone before it's six month refrigerator life. :-)
4) Vegetable clippings: I now keep a container of onion tops, celery tops, tomato peels/ends, broccoli stalks, and any other random vegetable clipping for broth/stock.

Interesting, no?

No comments:

 

easy statistics
Buy Digital Cameras